On Kauaiâ€™s Western shore, Salt Pond Beach Park has a number of protected shallow pools that offer great snorkeling for the little ones. The water is generally quite clear here and the natural fringing reefs help keep the water fairly calm. Tide pools on the East side of the beach are a great place to discover additional Hawaiian marine life. A lifeguard is posted here and you will find restrooms, showers and shade pavilions in the park.
Salt Pond’s salt beds are a natural wetland and while salt forms naturally here, the salt beds are quite man made. Salt Pond is named for the natural wetlands that Hawaiians use to produce salt used for cooking and medicinal purposes. Salt Pond Beach Park lies adjacent to the only natural salt ponds on Kauai. These Salt ponds are strictly for the use of Native Hawaiians. Salt Pond it is also an excellent beach for small children due to semi protected ocean conditions.
- Choose beaches with a lifeguard.
- Before entering the water check for any warning signs indicating hazardous conditions.
- Avoid swimming during high surf.
- Never swim alone.
- Never allow small children to swim or play in water unattended.
- Never swim in murky water and never swim in river mouths.
- Never turn your back on the ocean, an unexpected wave can knock you down and drag you out.
- Listen to weather and surf forecasts on local radio or check the surf report
Submit your review