Shipwreck Beach is a local favorite for surfing and body surfing. Located in front of the Grand Hyatt Hotel, parking is just beyond the hotels main entrance. Large surf usually pounds the shore and makes for difficult swimming and boogie boarding.
Here is also where you can find the start of theÂ Mahaulepu Heritage Trail,Â a great hike to explore the otherwise inaccessible coastline.Â Strong shore break can makes this beach a dangerous spot to swim. Best for beachcombing and sunsets.
- Choose beaches with a lifeguard.
- Before entering the water check for any warning signs indicating hazardous conditions.
- Avoid swimming during high surf.
- Never swim alone.
- Never allow small children to swim or play in water unattended.
- Never swim in murky water and never swim in river mouths.
- Never turn your back on the ocean, an unexpected wave can knock you down and drag you out.
- Listen to weather and surf forecasts on local radio or check the surf report