Tunnels Beach (Makua) is the ultimate snorkeling and scuba divers beach. This crescent shaped bay is fringed by palms and Ironwood trees. The golden sand beach has a backdrop of lush jungle and mountains making this a picture perfect beach. Tunnels is a favorite surfing, winds surfing and kite surfing beach. Lava tubes form the many underwater caverns give Tunnels it’s name as well as a magical underwater world to explore. Don’t miss the spectacular sunset from this North Shore beach.
Parking for this beach is best at Haena Beach Park.
- Choose beaches with a lifeguard.
- Before entering the water check for any warning signs indicating hazardous conditions.
- Avoid swimming during high surf.
- Never swim alone.
- Never allow small children to swim or play in water unattended.
- Never swim in murky water and never swim in river mouths.
- Never turn your back on the ocean, an unexpected wave can knock you down and drag you out.
- Listen to weather and surf forecasts on local radio or check the surf report