Use Kauai Surf Report for local ocean conditions and surf reports form surf line. Wind direction, tides and currents are all factors in finding the perfect and appropriate spot for your level of surfing. Find Kauai Surf Reports from Hanalei, Anahola, Poipu and Kekaha Beach. Always check current conditions and Kauai Surf Report before heading out to any water activity.Â Check with the locals or a county lifeguard for local conditions, hazards and warnings.
- Choose beaches with a lifeguard.
- Before entering the water check with a lifeguard or any warning signs indicating hazardous conditions.
- Avoid swimming during high surf.Â
Stay off rocky coastlines ( Waves are unpredictable and rouge waves can occur)
- Never swim alone.
- Never allow small children to swim or play in water unattended.
- Never swim in murky water and never swim in river mouths.
- Never turn your back on the ocean, an unexpected wave can knock you down and drag you out.
- Listen to weather and surf forecasts on local radio or check the surf report
Learn to spot currents and riptides and how to avoid them.Â This could save your life!
- Swim out of the current, then to shore.
- Swim out of the current in a direction parallel to the shoreline.
- When out of the current, swim at an angle away from the current and toward the shore.
- If you can’t escape, float or tread water. You can easily float in the current, there is no undertow.
- If you need help, call or wave for assistance – If there is large surf or shoreline hazards, wave your hands for help and wait for assistance.