Waioli Beach Park alos known as Pine trees on Hanalei Bay is located toward the middle of Hanalei Bay. Named Pine Trees for the multiple ironwood pines that grow on the sands edge. Pine Trees has one of the two lifeguard stations on the bay. This beach is popular with surfers and can have serious currents when the waves are large. World Champion surfers Bruce and Andy Irons grew up on this beach and are icons for many of the young local surfers. The Pine Tree Classic is an annual contest for beginner surfers to compete and win prizes.
Pine Trees is a fun spot to watch avid surfers show off their skills during the winter surf season. Restrooms and showers are available north of the lifeguard stand as well as a beach volleyball court where you can usually pick up a game or two.
- Choose beaches with a lifeguard.
- Before entering the water check for any warning signs indicating hazardous conditions.
- Avoid swimming during high surf.
- Never swim alone.
- Never allow small children to swim or play in water unattended.
- Never swim in murky water and never swim in river mouths.
- Never turn your back on the ocean, an unexpected wave can knock you down and drag you out.
- Listen to weather and surf forecasts on local radio or check the surf report